Plaats reactie

Abt 1864 French Naval Records

vhermann1
female
Invulmodus : tekstueel
Stamboomnavigatie : tekstueel
Stamboom bekijken
I am trying to track down the French naval service records for someone born 1842, who may have jumped ship when it came into harbour in New York in August 1864. I have strong reason to believe that this person entered the USA in August 1864 however possibly not on a civilian ship. (I have checked all available passenger entries for the weeks surrounding my date). He volunteer in the American Union Army within 2 weeks of arriving. A year later, he was then held pending handing him over to the French Consulate for deserting French Naval Service. My hypothesis is that if he did not enter the USA on a civilian ship, then he may have been on board a French Naval vessel that docked in New York.

Questions:
His military draft/conscription records would have been of the 1862 class but there is no military record of him in his department of birth. It is possible that they'd be in the Paris and surroundings town files as his father did live in Le Pré Saint Gervais however I am not sure where records of that age might be located online?

Would the navy have trained their recruits in either Dieppe or Rouen as he mentions those two places just prior to leaving for New York.?

What types of records and where would I start looking that would cover his enlistment, training, assignment etc?

Names, ports of call for French navy ships of that time?

If he indeed went AWOL and the French Consulate was involved after he enlisted in the USA Army, where would these French diplomatic and/or military incident reports be archived?

Thank you very much for any insights and suggestions.
stefgaga
stefgaga
Invulmodus : grafisch
Stamboomnavigatie : grafisch
Stamboom bekijken
Hello,
Well maybe this will helping you if you search for naval thing.
https://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/en in english!
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Invulmodus : grafisch
Stamboom bekijken
As you indicate, the registration would have been in the place where he resided at age 20. I suggest searching all family members (parents and siblings) to see if he is mentioned as a witness in any family event, like a marriage. The witnesses' occupation and place of residence is usually noted. Also check the census (recensements) to see if he was living with his father around that time.

Eric
vhermann1
female
Invulmodus : tekstueel
Stamboom bekijken
Thank you stefgaga, I have tried that site to no avail.

Eric, Camille was an only child of a man whose sister never married. His mother's line is a bit murky. His parents seem to have moved around quite a bit and later appear that they were separated as the mother was not living with the father, Pierre, when he died, though she inherited the house upon his death. I have tried looking through the census for Le Pré but was not able to find Pierre in any of the ones online. I believe that Pierre was living in Le Pré Saint Gervais around the time Camille turned 20, but cannot find a specific record in that particular year. (1862) Pierre bought property in Le Pré Saint Gervais in 1863 and may have been living in the area prior to buying the house.

Camille was supposed to have attended the Conservatorie National des Arts et Metiers in Paris around 1858. This and the fact that I believe that military conscription records for Le Pré are kept in the Paris archive, I may be stuck until I can travel to Paris as they are not online.

Can anyone confirm that military conscription records of that era (~1862) for Le Pré are indeed in the Paris Archives?

I truly appreciate everyone's insight.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “France”