Plaats reactie

sequencing.com vs FTDNA BigY700 ?

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
eikvarnier
male
Invulmodus : grafisch
Stamboomnavigatie : grafisch
Stamboom bekijken
Hi all,

It is always complicated to chose a DNA test when you don't have already a sample of the typical "product" you'll get from the different companies.

After reading a bit about the current options for a precise Y-Haplogroup estimation, I'm wondering one thing.
If you just care about getting your Y-DNA (no analysis, no cross-match database, just the raw file basically), is there any advantage in taking a Y-focussed test like FTDNA-BigY700 against a full sequencing at a x30 depth by sequencing.com ?

Because from my understanding, BigY700 have roughly the same depth than sequencing.com, the price are similar but FTDNA charge you extra fees to get your raw data.
So basically, I'm leaning toward the idea that for what I want sequencing.com is a far better choice:
- Full DNA (always usefull ... I like to play with data :) )
- similar depth
- cheaper than FTDNA

Am I missing something ?

Thank in advance,
E.
robjaco
male
Unfortunately, that's an apples to oranges comparison - their objectives are quite different.

I have to admit I had never heard of Sequencing.com, but after reading numerous reviews, I'm fairly impressed. Like Nebula Genomics, it provides 30X coverage for all chromosomes, plus a lot of tools and reports, for about $300 on sale. It does add up in cost though, as many reports and analyses cost extra, quite a bit extra in some cases. What it does NOT provide is good yDNA or mtDNA support! Yes, it covers the Y chromosome completely, but only provides a very generic haplogroup, using the old nomenclature based on the old ISOGG tree.

The point of total yDNA detail is to be able to place your (or other persons) sample in the actual human tree, and the 2 main yDNA trees of any importance currently are the FTDNA Y tree and the YFull YTree. FTDNA specializes in yDNA analysis, and in tree placement, creating new branches as necessary. So does YFull, but YFull doesn't do their own testing, they require an upload of a full yDNA test, usually in the full BAM format. Right now, YFull lists about 10 companies they can accept uploads from, and Sequencing.com is not one of them. You would have to contact Sequencing.com to see if it's possible to upload to YFull. I believe I have heard rumors that Nebula Genomics may be working with FTDNA to upload their data to the FTDNA yDNA database in the future, but otherwise FTDNA does not accept yDNA uploads.

In my opinion, if what you want is complete yDNA analysis, you should take the FTDNA Y700 test, then upload their result to YFull. Both trees are being updated constantly. If what you want is all the other DNA info, such as health etc, then go for the Sequencing.com or Nebula Genomics tests.
eikvarnier
male
Invulmodus : grafisch
Stamboomnavigatie : grafisch
Stamboom bekijken
robjaco schreef: 27 oktober 2021, 02:58 What it does NOT provide is good yDNA or mtDNA support! Yes, it covers the Y chromosome completely, but only provides a very generic haplogroup, using the old nomenclature based on the old ISOGG tree.

The point of total yDNA detail is to be able to place your (or other persons) sample in the actual human tree, and the 2 main yDNA trees of any importance currently are the FTDNA Y tree and the YFull YTree.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
In fact, what interests me the most is the raw file, I don't need them to tell me what is my haplogroup, if I have the raw data (with the right SNPs covered of course) I can determine my haplogroup myself.

I'm not that much into matching with modern peoples (still interesting to know some relative, but I not specifically looking after that).
I have enough match with my 23andMe data to biologically-"validate" the recent generations of my tree.

Have a nice day,
E.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “DNA - Genetic Genealogy”